Ocular Microbiology Course for Lab Assistant
The Ophthalmic paramedic (OP) will understand the basic ocular microbiology concepts, the importance of sterilization, and perform relevant microbiological, sterilization and cleaning techniques. To enhance the OP skills to perform sample collection, smear preparation, Gram’s staining, microscopy, routine blood test, Blood and urine sugar test.
OBJECTIVE OF THE COURSE:
The aim of this course is to help the candidates:
- To recognize common Lab. instruments and equipments.
- To understand Lab. safety
- To perform safety maintenance of Lab. instruments and equipments, reagents.
- To understand to handle common lab. reagents and chemicals.
- To understand the principles of measuring and weighing.
- To describe the basis of ocular microbiology
- To perform microscopic identification of common ocular pathogens.
- To know the use of biological microscope
- To practice the right method of collecting specimens and prepare smears.
- To know the staining techniques
- To practice all the basic sterilization techniques
- To describe the purpose of washing hands and practice the correct steps in cleaning glass wares.
- To describe the way of collecting urine and blood samples and its proper storage and transport systems.
- To understand slit lam examination,
- staining, schirmer test
- Conjunctival scrab
- Corneal scraping